Name: Carolina (CAH-RO-LEE-NAH)
Date of birth: 5th September 2016
Job title: Tuberculosis (TB) Detection Rat
Birthplace: Morogoro, Tanzania
Current Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Length: 64 cm
Weight: 1.01 kg
Favourite food: Watermelon
Personality: Cheeky and dedicated
CAROLINA IN THE FIELD
Day in the life
The TB threat
TOP 5 FACTS
1. Tuberculosis (TB) ranks as the world’s leading cause of death from an infectious disease after COVID-19, claiming 1.4 million lives worldwide in 2022.
2. For every additional patient diagnosed and placed on TB treatment, HeroRATs like Carolina are helping stop the spread of TB to up to 15 people per year.
3. A TB detection rat can screen 100 sputum samples for TB in as little as 20 minutes. This would typically take a lab technician up to 4 days using conventional microscopy. Any suspect samples are then re-checked using WHO-endorsed confirmation tests.
4. Carolina and the other HeroRATs have helped raise detection rates in our partner clinics by 40%.
5. In sub-Saharan Africa, around half of the TB patients remain undiagnosed or untreated and globally this number was 3.1 million in 2022. These ‘missed’ TB-positive patients usually include the most vulnerable and those without proper access to care.
CAROLINA’S IMPACT LAST MONTH
TB Samples Sniffed
Accuracy (Known Samples)
Additional Samples Indicated
HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL RECEIVE
Monthly Impact Updates
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT HERORAT ADOPTIONS?
The quickest way to find to the answer to your question is to take take a look at our FAQ page. If you still need help, send us a message here and we’ll get back to you right away. Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org