APOPO, a non-profit organization renowned for its innovative solutions in the fields of Mine Detection Rat (MDR) and tuberculosis detection, is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to join our team as the Head of Research and Innovation. This position presents a unique opportunity to contribute to our mission of saving lives and improving the well-being of communities worldwide.
About the role
As the Head of Research and Innovation, you will play a pivotal role in developing and advancing APOPO’s Research and Innovation department in alignment with the strategic goals of the organization. You will spearhead the design, execution, and analysis of research studies, with a focus on developing APOPO’s applications in animal scent detection. Additionally, you will be responsible for building research capacity, publishing and communicating research findings, securing financial support, and ensuring compliance with APOPO’s mission, vision, core values, and ethical standards.
Whilst the Research and Innovation Department carries out scientific studies in novel applications for scent detection animals as well as improving operational programs, we are not a purely academically oriented organization. Instead, we are developing applied products through the use of sound scientific methods. Therefore, understanding scientific methods and principles is a must while also being able to develop products with a focus on delivering them to operations.
- Develop APOPO’s Research department to support Innovative applications of our detection animals.
- Design, conduct, and analyze research studies and operational trials to advance APOPO’s standing as a center of excellence in animal scent detection.
- Build capacity by guiding and mentoring a team of dedicated researchers.
- Publish and communicate APOPO’s research findings, and present at relevant conferences and events.
- Secure financial support for research activities by writing grant proposals and donor liaisons, and oversee financial records and reporting.
- Actively contribute as a member of the management team, collaborating on strategic initiatives and decision-making processes.
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation of programs within your department.
- Ensure strict adherence to APOPO’s mission, vision, core values, and ethical standards.
To be considered for the position of Head of Research and Innovation, we expect candidates to have the following qualifications and skills:
- PhD in a relevant field with proven experience in scientific study design, monitoring and evaluation of research, obtaining grants, and mentoring of researchers up to a post-graduate level.
- Fluent in both written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of animal training, animal behavior, and/or scent detection is a plus.
- Detail-oriented with a hands-on approach to research.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to inspire and motivate a team.
- Excellent planning and organizational abilities.
- Willingness to travel as required.
- Experience working with and leading inter-cultural teams is a plus.
And the following experience:
- 5-10 years of experience in research and development with a proven track record of developing research-to-market applications.
- Experience conducting research in an industry sector is a plus.
- A proven track record in leading research teams.
- Experience in securing research funding and grant management.
- Proficiency in writing and publishing scientific articles and effectively communicating research findings.
- Previous experience working in non-profit organizations, particularly in low- to lower-middle-income countries, is an asset.
These qualifications and experiences will contribute to the successful development and execution of APOPO’s research initiatives, ensuring the organization’s continued growth and impact in saving lives and improving communities worldwide.
The successful candidate will work at our research headquarters in beautiful Morogoro, Tanzania, where you’ll be immersed in a collaborative and dynamic work environment. APOPO offers not only a competitive salary, but also a comprehensive benefits package including housing, a company vehicle, annual holiday return flights, international travel insurance, a monthly telecommunications allowance, and 30 days of paid annual leave in addition to Tanzanian national bank holidays.
You’ve got what it takes? Persuade us!
Send your CV, a 1-page motivation letter, a 1-page statement of diversity, and contact information for three references. As we review applications on an ongoing basis, there is no set deadline. We invite you to apply at your earliest convenience.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you do not hear from us within 4 weeks after your application, please consider your application as not being shortlisted for this position.
To apply, click the button below.
APOPO is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender identity, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military/veteran status, or citizenship status.
Learn more about APOPO at www.apopo.org